Tuesday, March 4, 2008

First-Year Professor Proud to Know His Students Frequenting the Library on Thursday Nights


After hearing frightful tales of student apathy and hardcore partying, Dr. Gary K. Drekinski , a first-year professor at Ole Miss, is pleased to know his pupils are heading to the library each and every Thursday night.
"Whether the forecast calls for rain or shine, my students repeatedly tell me they plan to go to the Library no matter what. This is the sort of discipline and dedication I hoped to encounter when I was studying 8 hours a day to be a teacher." Drekinski explained.
Drekinski, a molecular biology professor who received a Ph. D. from the University of Colorado at Boulder, admits he was skeptical before choosing to teach at the University of Mississippi.
"Everyone told me the students here in Oxford were adverse to concentrating on their studies in a serious manner. Perhaps that is true in other classes, but not mine. My students are seemingly thrilled with the notion of getting to the library around 8:00 PM, just to beat the crowd. That is pure excitement. Reminds me of myself in their day."
Despite being very enthused with his students' study habits, he was rather surprised with the results of their first exam.
"I was hoping the first exam average would be at least a little higher than a 46.3. This was by far the easiest test they will ever see me give. However, with the amount of time they're spending at the library, I know they will rebound from this setback. Maybe next time I will place the exam on a Friday to reward them for going to the library the night before."
Though Drekinski is unsure of why exactly his students choose to study at the library on Thursday nights, he has formulated his own theory.
"Most of the students mention to me that a certain DJ Mario will be there on Thursday. I am not sure what the D or J stand for because he is not in any of my classes, but he must be one heck of a tutor."

RELATED NEWS: Professor Depressed to Hear His Students Frequenting Murff's, Period

No comments: